One evening, while exploring a new grocery store, I came across a pre-chopped, ready-to-eat package of rainbow cauliflower. I had previously only cooked with the white kind, so I thought I would give cauliflower’s orange, green and purple sisters a try!
Coincidentally, I had bookmarked a recipe in The Food 52 Cookbook Volume 2 for cauliflower that I have been patiently waiting to try out.
This is simply the best cauliflower recipe my husband and I have ever tasted. For the original recipe, click HERE or see below. I kept the panko breadcrumb topping amount the same, but halved the amount of cauliflower.
Roasted Cauliflower with Gremolata Breadcrumbs
Barely adapted from recipe posted to Food 52 by TheThinChef
- 1 lb cauliflower florets
- 2 T + 2 T extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Zest of 1 small organic lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced with sea salt
- 2 T finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place cauliflower in a large bowl. Add 2 T extra virgin olive oil, a little sea salt and pepper for flavor; toss to coat.
- Spread cauliflower out on 1 large, rimmed baking sheets. Roast until edges start to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 T olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add panko and remaining sea salt and stir. Cook, stirring constantly, until bread crumbs are golden. Add lemon zest and garlic and toss until mixture is very fragrant and bread crumbs are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Place in a small bowl and add parsley, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and place on serving platter. Top with bread crumbs and serve immediately.